Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Painting On Burlap

Since being home from Paris, I have often thought about changing my downstairs half bathroom in to a Paris theme. There were just lots of things I loved about Paris, and I got some great pictures I could use, and there are some cute Paris things on etsy and at the stores...plus I got a cute little clock in Paris that doesn't have a home yet! So I've decided I'm going for it! My first step was to make something to fill the wall behind the toilet. I had lots of 16x20 sized boards that the hubby cut me, burlap, paint and vinyl! I had seen something really cute at hobby lobby that was a little similar to what I ended up doing but it was far too small to fill the space I needed. So I got to work!

First I went to the craft room and cut out an Eiffel Tower and the word Paris on my vinyl machine. I peeled the opposite part of the vinyl that I normally would so I would have a stencil. What I did next didn't work out so great. I painted the board and used spray adhesive to put the burlap down then painted....

Well....as I pulled the vinyl off the burlap came off and bubbled. Then I had to redo it all! It was kind of a hot sticky, furry mess!
What I recommend doing is taping your burlap to the board (it doesn't matter if paint gets on it, you'll be painting it again anyways!) Place the vinyl on your burlap and paint! Once it's dry, pull the vinyl off! Then paint your board. Using spray adhesive, spray a small amount to the wood to attach the burlap. Then place a nail in each corner! (I used kind of rustic looking nails.) And...you are done!
Don't get a little to paint happy =)

Here is the finished project! I love it & can't wait to finish the rest!


1 comment: